Close Menu
Imperial WireImperial Wire
    What's Hot

    Can Whitecaps carry Canadian hopes in Concacaf Champions Cup?

    February 18, 2026

    MP News: वित्त मंत्री जगदीश देवड़ा आज पेश करेंगे मोहन सरकार का तीसरा पूर्ण बजट, यह मिल सकती है सौगातें

    February 18, 2026

    Exclusive-Cambodian PM says Thailand is occupying territory after Trump-brokered ceasefire

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads
    Trending
    • Can Whitecaps carry Canadian hopes in Concacaf Champions Cup?
    • MP News: वित्त मंत्री जगदीश देवड़ा आज पेश करेंगे मोहन सरकार का तीसरा पूर्ण बजट, यह मिल सकती है सौगातें
    • Exclusive-Cambodian PM says Thailand is occupying territory after Trump-brokered ceasefire
    • US, Japan seal ‘massive’ trade deal; Tokyo to invest $550 billion in America; key details of the pact – The Times of India
    • ‘Tug of war’: Democrats push Trump to release New York City tunnel funds
    • Emerald Fennell defends bold ‘Wuthering Heights’ vision amid backlash – The Times of India
    • Delhi Receives Rain After February Temperatures Touch 30°C, Check IMD Forecast
    • Asian Shares Advance, Kiwi Falls On Rate Guidance: Markets Wrap
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Imperial WireImperial Wire
    Post Your Story
    Wednesday, February 18
    • Home
    • Epstein Files
    • Featured
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • Education
      • Healthcare
    • Global News
    • India News
    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Contact
    Imperial WireImperial Wire
    • Home
    • Epstein Files
    • Global News
    • India News
    • Business
    • Share Market & Crypto
    • Gaming
    • Sports
    • Finance
    • Entertainment
    • Education
    Home»Global News

    U.S., Iran to hold more nuclear talks as Tehran closes Strait of Hormuz – National | Globalnews.ca

    Admin - Shubham SagarBy Admin - Shubham SagarFebruary 17, 2026 Global News No Comments6 Mins Read
    U.S., Iran to hold more nuclear talks as Tehran closes Strait of Hormuz – National | Globalnews.ca
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    The U.S. and Iran held their second round of talks about Iran’s nuclear program on Tuesday in Geneva as Iran said it will close the Strait of Hormuz for several hours for live fire military exercises and the United States ramps up its military forces in the region.

    As the talks began, Iranian media announced that Iran had fired live missiles toward the Strait of Hormuz, and said it will close the Strait for several hours for “safety and maritime concerns.”

    This is the first time that Iran has closed parts of the Strait, an essential international waterway, since the U.S. began threatening Iran with military action. Iran on Monday announced a maritime military exercise in waterways that are crucial international trade routes through which 20 per cent of the world’s oil passes. Iran previously held a live fire drill in the Strait of Hormuz several weeks ago but did not announce closures.

    Story continues below advertisement

    The semi-official Tasnim news agency, which is close to the paramilitary Revolutionary Guard, said missiles launched inside Iran and along its coast had struck their targets in the Strait of Hormuz.

    Iranian state TV later reported that the latest round of talks had ended after almost three hours.

    Another round of indirect talks

    Iranian state TV reported Tuesday that the negotiations with the U.S. will be indirect and will focus only on Iran’s nuclear program, not domestic policies including its bloody crackdown on protesters last month.

    U.S. President Donald Trump has repeatedly threatened to use force to compel Iran to agree to constrain its nuclear program. Iran has said it would respond with an attack of its own. Trump has also threatened Iran over its deadly crackdown on recent nationwide protests.

    The first round of talks Feb. 6 were held in Oman, a sultanate on the eastern edge of the Arabian Peninsula, and were indirect. Similarly to the last round of talks, the Iranians appeared to be meeting with Omani mediators separately from the Americans on Tuesday.

    Story continues below advertisement

    Trump’s envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner were traveling for the new round of talks.


    Click to play video: 'Trump says Iran ‘must now make peace” after US strikes on nuclear facilities'

    1:25
    Trump says Iran ‘must now make peace” after US strikes on nuclear facilities


    Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, who is leading the talks for Iran, met with the head of the U.N. nuclear watchdog agency Monday in Geneva.

    For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

    Get breaking National news

    For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

    “I am in Geneva with real ideas to achieve a fair and equitable deal,” Araghchi wrote on X. “What is not on the table: submission before threats.”

    Talking to reporters Monday night aboard Air Force One on his way to Washington, U.S. President Donald Trump said he planned to be involved in the talks, at least indirectly. “I think they want to make a deal. I don’t think they want the consequences of not making a deal,” he said.

    The U.S. is also hosting talks between envoys from Russia and Ukraine in Geneva on Tuesday and Wednesday, days ahead of the fourth anniversary of the all-out Russian invasion of its neighbor.

    Story continues below advertisement

    Iran fires missiles into Strait of Hormuz in drill

    Iran announced that the Revolutionary Guard started a drill early Monday morning in the Strait of Hormuz, the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman, which are crucial international shipping routes. It was the second time in recent weeks that Iran has held a live fire drill in the Strait of Hormuz.

    Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei stepped up his warnings to the U.S. over its buildup of military forces in the Middle East.

    “Of course a warship is a dangerous apparatus, but more dangerous than the warship is the weapon that can sink the warship into the depths of the sea,” Khamanei said, Iranian state TV reported.

    He also warned the U.S. that “forcing the result of talks in advance is a wrong and foolish job.”

    U.S. increases military presence

    Trending Now

    • Canadian immigration officers investigating hundreds identified by extortion task force

    • Shooting at Rhode Island ice rink kills 2 during youth hockey game: police

    Last week, Trump said the USS Gerald R. Ford, the world’s largest aircraft carrier, was being sent from the Caribbean Sea to the Mideast to join other warships and military assets the U.S. has built up in the region.

    Story continues below advertisement

    The Ford, whose new deployment was first reported by The New York Times, will join the USS Abraham Lincoln and its accompanying guided-missile destroyers, which have been in the region for over two weeks. U.S. forces already have shot down an Iranian drone that approached the Lincoln on the same day last week that Iran tried to stop a U.S.-flagged ship in the Strait of Hormuz.

    Gulf Arab nations have warned any attack could spiral into another regional conflict in a Mideast still reeling from the Israel-Hamas war in the Gaza Strip.


    Click to play video: 'Trump says US “armada” is heading toward Iran'

    1:55
    Trump says US “armada” is heading toward Iran


    The Trump administration is seeking a deal to limit Iran’s nuclear program and ensure it does not develop nuclear weapons. Iran says it is not pursuing weapons and has so far resisted demands that it halt uranium enrichment or hand over its supply of uranium.

    The U.S. and Iran were in the middle of months of meetings when Israel’s launch of a 12-day war against Iran back in June instantly halted the talks. The U.S. bombed Iranian nuclear sites during that war, likely destroying many of the centrifuges that spun uranium to near weapons-grade purity. Israel’s attacks decimated Iran’s air defences and targeted its ballistic missile arsenal as well.

    Story continues below advertisement

    Iran has insisted its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes. Before the June war, Iran had been enriching uranium up to 60 per cent purity, a short, technical step away from weapons-grade levels.

    Iran marks 40 days since deadliest part of protest crackdowns

    Iran is marking 40 days, the traditional Muslim mourning period, since one of the deadliest days in the crackdown on protests that swept the country last month. Activists say at least 7,015 people have been killed, many in a bloody crackdown overnight between Jan. 8 and 9.

    The U.S.-based Human Rights Activists News Agency, which offered the latest figures, has been accurate in counting deaths during previous rounds of unrest in Iran and relies on a network of activists in the country to verify deaths.

    The Associated Press has been unable to independently assess the death toll, given authorities have disrupted internet access and international calls in Iran.

    Story continues below advertisement

    Iran’s state news agency said the government would hold a memorial marking 40 days at the Grand Mosalla mosque in Tehran, and blamed the demonstrations on “violent actions by armed groups allegedly directed by foreign intelligence agencies.”


    &copy 2026 The Canadian Press

    Source link
    #U.S #Iran #hold #nuclear #talks #Tehran #closes #Strait #Hormuz #National #Globalnews.ca

    Closes Globalnews.ca hold Hormuz Imperial Wire Iran National nuclear Public News Strait talks Tehran U.S World News
    Admin - Shubham Sagar
    • Website

    Admin & Senior Editor at Imperial Wire covering global news...

    Keep Reading

    Can Whitecaps carry Canadian hopes in Concacaf Champions Cup?

    MP News: वित्त मंत्री जगदीश देवड़ा आज पेश करेंगे मोहन सरकार का तीसरा पूर्ण बजट, यह मिल सकती है सौगातें

    Exclusive-Cambodian PM says Thailand is occupying territory after Trump-brokered ceasefire

    ‘Tug of war’: Democrats push Trump to release New York City tunnel funds

    Emerald Fennell defends bold ‘Wuthering Heights’ vision amid backlash – The Times of India

    Delhi Receives Rain After February Temperatures Touch 30°C, Check IMD Forecast

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Editors Picks

    PSU rally shows momentum, but strategic picks remain in defence and power: Dharmesh Kant

    February 17, 2026

    Adam Silver to consider changing draft lottery, revoking picks to stop tanking

    February 14, 2026

    NBA All-Star Game Betting Preview: Best Picks for World vs. USA and MVP Odds | Deadspin.com

    February 14, 2026

    Finest VPN Service for 2026 Our Prime Picks in a Tight Race – Imperial Wire

    February 13, 2026
    Latest Posts

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

    Imperial Wire News logo - Reliable global updates and industry insights
    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest Vimeo WhatsApp TikTok Instagram

    News

    • Astrology
    • Business
    • Consulting
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Finance
    • Food

    News

    • Gaming
    • Global News
    • Healthcare
    • India News
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Share Market & Crypto
    • Sports

    Company

    • Technology
    • Travel
    • Money
    • Europe
    • UK News
    • US Politics

    Services

    • Subscriptions
    • Customer Support
    • Sponsored News
    • Work With Us

    Subscribe to Updates

    vGet the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2026 Imperial Wire News | Reserved by Webixnet Pvt. Ltd..
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms of Service

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.