Passengers walk through the entrance of a TSA PreCheck in Terminal One at O’Hare International Airport Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2017, in Chicago. (Armando L. Sanchez/Chicago Tribune/Tribune News Service via Getty Images)
Armando L. Sanchez | Chicago Tribune | Getty Images
The Transportation Security Administration said on Sunday that its PreCheck airport screening lanes are operational, hours after the Department of Homeland Security said the faster security checkpoint services would be paused amid the partial government shutdown.
“At this time, TSA PreCheck remains operational with no change for the traveling public,” TSA officials said in a statement. “As staffing constraints arise, TSA will evaluate on a case by case basis and adjust operations accordingly. Courtesy escorts, such as those for Members of Congress, have been suspended to allow officers to focus on the mission of securing America’s skies.”
The pause in the TSA PreCheck and Global Entry programs was initially scheduled to take effect at 6 a.m. ET on Sunday, DHS said.
The move comes as the U.S. Northeast braces for a massive winter storm that could disrupt airline flights for days.
“TSA and CBP are prioritizing the general traveling population at our airports and ports of entry and suspending courtesy and special privilege escorts,” DHS Secretary Kristi Noem said in a statement.
TSA PreCheck has more than 20 million active members, according to an agency count in 2024.
“PreCheck members accounted for 34 percent of passengers screened at airport checkpoints,” The New York Times reported in August 2025, citing a TSA spokesman. The program is available at more than 200 U.S. airports, the newspaper noted.
The pause in TSA PreCheck and Global Entry security programs is a result of the partial government shutdown that began on Feb. 14, following congressional lawmakers’ failure to reach a deal to fund DHS.
Airlines have canceled more than 6,000 flights through Monday and waived cancellation and change fees for airports spanning Virginia to Maine ahead of the East Coast blizzard.
Travel industry members sharply criticized the move, which comes just months after last year’s federal government shutdown affected air travel and dented bookings, according to executives.
“A4A is deeply concerned that TSA PreCheck and Global Entry programs are being suspended and that the traveling public will be, once again, used as a political football amid another government shutdown,” said Airlines for America CEO Chris Sununu. The group represents American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Southwest Airlines, United Airlines and other major carriers.
“The announcement was issued with extremely short notice to travelers, giving them little time to plan accordingly, which is especially troubling at this time of record air travel,” he added.
The government shutdown in the fall, the longest ever, cost the travel industry and other sectors $6.1 billion, the group said. Those disruptions affected about 6 million travelers.
The U.S. Travel Association, which represents major hotel chains and many other businesses in the industry, called DHS’s move “extremely disappointing.”
“We are disgusted that over the last 90 days, Democrats and Republicans have used air traffic controllers, TSA, CBP and the entire travel experience as a means to achieve political ends,” it said in a statement.
This story is developing. Please refresh for updates.
Source link
#TSA #PreCheck #open #airports #agency #hours #DHS #announced #suspension

