Close Menu
Imperial WireImperial Wire
    What's Hot

    Urgent Alert: Russia Prepares Massive Assault on Ukraine’s Fortress Belt

    February 28, 2026

    Shocking Escalation: 352 Taliban Killed in Pakistan Border Conflict

    February 28, 2026

    Stunning Escalation: Iran Hit by Massive US-Israeli Airstrikes

    February 28, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads
    Trending
    • Urgent Alert: Russia Prepares Massive Assault on Ukraine’s Fortress Belt
    • Shocking Escalation: 352 Taliban Killed in Pakistan Border Conflict
    • Stunning Escalation: Iran Hit by Massive US-Israeli Airstrikes
    • Stunning Escalation: Pakistan-Afghanistan War Reignites Critical Border Clash
    • India’s Historic Chip Push: Micron’s Gujarat Plant Now Live
    • India’s Major Chip Leap: Micron Plant Powers “Made-in-India” Memory
    • England’s Stunning T20 Dominance: Pakistan’s Semi-Final Hopes Fade
    • Stunning Crypto Regulatory Shift: US SEC Embraces Capital-Friendly Approach
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Imperial WireImperial Wire
    Post Your Story
    Saturday, May 23
    • Home
    • Epstein Files
      • Access Epstein Files
      • Access Epstein Mails
      • Acsess Epstein Videos
    • Featured
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • Education
      • Healthcare
    • Global News
    • India News
    • Business
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • Contact
    Imperial WireImperial Wire
    • Home
    • Epstein Files
    • Global News
    • India News
    • Business
    • Share Market & Crypto
    • Gaming
    • Sports
    • Finance
    • Entertainment
    • Education
    Home»Global News

    M23 rebels: UN sees progress in talks but warns violence persists

    Admin - Shubham SagarBy Admin - Shubham SagarFebruary 5, 2026 Global News No Comments3 Mins Read
    M23 rebels: UN sees progress in talks but warns violence persists
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Qatar is facilitating discussions between the Congolese government and the M23 armed group, which controls large areas of North Kivu and South Kivu provinces.

    The latest developments follow months of intense fighting that has displaced civilians and destabilised the region.

    However, the UN warns that despite diplomatic momentum, the security situation on the ground remains volatile.

    M23, also known as the March 23 Movement, controls large areas of North Kivu and South Kivu provinces. In January 2025, after a rapid offensive, the group seized Goma, the capital of North Kivu. 

    Weeks later, it captured Bukavu, the capital of South Kivu. Since then, the rebels have set up parallel administrations in areas under their control. The UN says the group is supported by the Rwandan armed forces, an allegation Kigali has repeatedly denied.

    Uvira, a major city in South Kivu on the shores of Lake Tanganyika, Democratic Republic of the Congo. (file)

    © MONUSCO/Sylvain Liechti

    Uvira, a major city in South Kivu on the shores of Lake Tanganyika, Democratic Republic of the Congo. (file)

    Framework agreement

    On 2 February, the Congolese authorities and M23 signed a document setting out the terms of reference for a ceasefire monitoring and verification mechanism under the Doha Framework Agreement, signed in November 2025. The Doha talks are being mediated by Qatar.

    Separate discussions have also taken place between the DRC and Rwanda, with mediation by the United States. 

    In December, Presidents Félix Tshisekedi of the DRC and Paul Kagame of Rwanda signed the Washington Agreements, raising hopes of an end to the fighting. However, the UN says the security situation at the start of this year remains volatile and continues to deteriorate.

    Immediate ceasefire call

    Against this backdrop, the UN peacekeeping mission in the DRC, known as MONUSCO, has renewed its call for an immediate cessation of hostilities. 

    It recalled that a UN Security Council resolution adopted last year authorises the Mission to support the implementation of a permanent ceasefire, including through technical and logistical assistance to a regional verification mechanism.

    “MONUSCO stands ready to support a credible ceasefire monitoring and verification mechanism within the limits of its mandate as defined by the Security Council and in full respect of the sovereignty of the Democratic Republic of Congo,” said Vivian van de Perre, the Deputy Special Representative of the Secretary-General and Acting Head of MONUSCO.

    “The Mission will continue to engage constructively with relevant stakeholders within the established ceasefire architecture and to communicate transparently on the scope and modalities of its support,” she added.

    ‘Positive signal’ from Doha

    Speaking to UN News, MONUSCO spokesperson Ndeye Khady Lo described the progress in Doha as “a positive signal” that helps make “the ceasefire architecture more concrete and operational”.

    She said an initial team of UN peacekeepers would be deployed to the town of Uvira, in South Kivu, to support the monitoring mechanism. 

    MONUSCO stressed, however, that this would not mark a permanent return to the province, which the Mission left in June 2024, but a limited and strictly defined role linked to the ceasefire process.

    Source link
    #M23 #rebels #sees #progress #talks #warns #violence #persists

    Imperial Wire M23 persists Progress Public News rebels sees talks violence Warns World News
    Admin - Shubham Sagar
    • Website

    Admin & Senior Editor at Imperial Wire covering global news...

    Keep Reading

    Urgent Alert: Russia Prepares Massive Assault on Ukraine’s Fortress Belt

    Shocking Escalation: 352 Taliban Killed in Pakistan Border Conflict

    Stunning Escalation: Iran Hit by Massive US-Israeli Airstrikes

    Stunning Escalation: Pakistan-Afghanistan War Reignites Critical Border Clash

    Stunning Crypto Regulatory Shift: US SEC Embraces Capital-Friendly Approach

    Anxious days inside Iran as speculation grows of US strikes

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Editors Picks

    Best Picks to Wear in the San Antonio Rodeo Show

    February 27, 2026

    Toronto FC picks up winger Daniel Salloi from Sporting Kansas City

    February 20, 2026

    PSU rally shows momentum, but strategic picks remain in defence and power: Dharmesh Kant

    February 17, 2026

    Adam Silver to consider changing draft lottery, revoking picks to stop tanking

    February 14, 2026
    Latest Posts

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

    Imperial Wire News logo - Reliable global updates and industry insights
    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest Vimeo WhatsApp TikTok Instagram

    News

    • Astrology
    • Business
    • Consulting
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Fashion
    • Finance
    • Food

    News

    • Gaming
    • Global News
    • Healthcare
    • India News
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Share Market & Crypto
    • Sports

    Company

    • Technology
    • Travel
    • Money
    • Europe
    • UK News
    • US Politics

    Services

    • Subscriptions
    • Customer Support
    • Sponsored News
    • Work With Us

    Subscribe to Updates

    vGet the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2026 Imperial Wire News | Reserved by Webixnet Pvt. Ltd..
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms of Service

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.